* UPDATE 4/14/13 - W★W, we've reached our Indiegogo goal! Thank you to all who donated! We are still accepting donations though - help us reach our overall $15,000 goal!!
For our first annual FUNdraiser, we're bringing you a month of groovy events and top-notch programming. Support college radio and help us reach our goal!
Who We Are, What We Do, & Why It Matters
- We are the independent, student-run radio station of the University of Southern California and the Trojan community.
- We provide students with hands-on broadcast experience, support emerging artists, promote Los Angeles culture, and document USC events.
- We create unique educational opportunities for students, provide a supportive community for creative expression, and broadcast the sounds of USC to the world.
We Need Your Help
- KXSC does not receive any guaranteed funding from USC, and every year we earn less and less from PSA underwriting donations. At the current rate, the station will be out of funds in just a few years. We need to make a change, so we're launching our first fundraiser.
- Student staff and DJs pay membership dues every semester, but we've never asked our listeners, supporters, the Los Angeles community, or our Trojan family to donate funds before. If you've ever enjoyed KXSC's programming and events, now is finally the time to give back.
- When you donate, and become a member of KXSC, you are supporting more than a unique educational experience. College radio stations are shutting down all across the country, and this vital kind of independent nonprofit media organization is becoming endangered. KXSC members are investing in a sustainable future for college radio, which not only trains and empowers students, but promotes alternative culture, and provides a space for independent voices to be heard.
What We Need & What You Get
- We are working to raise $5,000 on Indiegogo, $5,000 in major gifts, and $5,000 in grants, totalling at $15,000. At least half of the funds will be invested into an endowment fund to help secure the future of the station. The rest will be used for the station's basic operational costs.
- KUSC, USC's professional nonprofit classical station, has already pledge a $2,500 grant to our campaign, because they believe in our cause.
- Any level donation makes you a member of KXSC! You'll be showered in appreciation, and gain personal access to the work of the station. Plus, you'll get all the warm fuzzy feelings of having joined a super rad club with exceptional taste in radio. Every little bit helps! Even if we don't reach our goal, we'll be saving half the funds raised, and using the rest to support the station's work for the next year.
- Radios are one of the most accessible forms of technology, covering over 70% of the world’s population. Source: EFA Global Monitoring Report, 2012, p.290
- Radio is still a very important medium in the world. We need creative, innovative students, just like those involved with KXSC, to lead the charge in developing radio.
- Each week 26 million people listen to NPR programs and newscasts on 975 public radio stations nationwide. The NPR.org serves about 19 million visitors a month on web and digital platforms. Source: About NPR: Audience webpage
- Given the ownership consolidation and standardization of commercial radio, noncommercial media matters more than ever, and public radio remains popular and vital. Many people at NPR got their start at college stations just like KXSC.
- In 2012, 41.9% of the US population listend to internet radio on a monthly basis, and this number is projected to surpass 50% of the total population in 2015. Source: eMarketer Internet Radio Report, 2013, p.1
- KXSC has been broadcasting online since 1997, and is committed to leveraging new technologies to reach its audience. The station helps students explore the future of radio first hand.
Other Ways You Can Help
- Can't spare the funds? No worries. We're poor college students, and we understand. Plus, you can still help in other ways. Share our campaign with everyone you know, both in-person and online, and proudly let the world know that you SUPPORT COLLEGE RADIO!
- So moved and inspired that you want to give more? We're looking for Program Partners to pledge $500 in matching donations to support our cause. Please get in touch with our Sales & Major Gifts department for more information. (Ethelind at firstname.lastname@example.org)
Jazz Month Celebration
TIME: 12AM to 11:59PM
We’re kicking off our FUNdraiser with 24 hours of jazz programming curated by our own Jazz Director, Michael Fishman. This event is brought to you in partnership with the Ella Fitzgerald Foundation (http://www.ellafitzgeraldfoundation.org).
TIME: 8 PM to 10 PM
Join us in the Harris Hall Courtyard for an outdoor screening of Invisible War (http://www.notinvisible.org) from Academy Award Nominated Director, Kirby Dick. Co-presented with Society and Business Lab, USC Marshall School and Program Board.
TIME: 7 PM to 10 PM
We’re partnering with GZ (http://www.usc.edu/student-affairs/gzcoffee) to bring you some rad students bands and a bingo game with awesome prizes (free milkshakes?). We personally can’t think of a better way to spend a Sunday evening at USC.
TIME: 12 PM to 8PM
Tune-in for 8 hours of unique, live programming from DubLab (http://dublab.com), an internet radio station that’s exploring the possibilities of audio entertainment. There will be special giveaways from dublab, DJ sets, live performances, and more.
TIME: 12 PM to 6 PM
KXSC welcomes vendors from USC and the surrounding community for our first-ever flea market! Snatch a grab bag of CDs from our Music Department, check out the wares for sale, and jam to some blissed-out Sunday afternoon beats from KXSC DJs.
TIME: 10 AM to 8 PM
Celebration of KXSC and the history of student radio here at USC, from the 1950's to today!
This event will devote an entire day of programming to every period of USC student radio's diverse history. On April 16th, we will be re-airing old programming and discussing the history of the station in order to celebrate our heritage and preserve it for future generations of DJs and staff.
Hear programming from all eras of college radio and interviews from past DJs recalling all the trials and triumphs of being a student run college radio station
Battle of the Bands
TIME:8 PM to 12 AM
Come on down to Tommy’s Place (http://tommysplaceusc.com) to see some of the best student and local bands duke it out for killer prizes. Grand prize is 5 hours of studio recording, on-air promo, and a website profile of the band. If you can’t make it in person, never fear. We’ll be broadcasting the complete battle live on air. This event is proudly co-sponsored with Spectrum (http://sait.usc.edu/spectrum/).
Ella Fitzgerald's Birthday Party: 24 Hours of Programmed Ella
TIME: 12AM to 11:59PM
Happy Birthday to the First Lady of Song! We’re celebrating with 24 hours of Ella Fitzgerald recordings curated by our Jazz Director, Michael Fishman. Much thanks to the Ella Fitzgerald Foundation (http://www.ellafitzgeraldfoundation.org) for their support!
Traddies Happy Hour
TIME: 5 PM to 8 PM
We’re partnering with Traditions (http://www.usctraditions.com) to bring you a special Traddies & KXSC happy hour, featuring live KXSC Djs, drink specials for students over 21 years-old, and food specials for all ages!
TIME: 11 AM to 2 PM
Come watch KXSC play a friendly tournament of kickball with other college stations (KXLU, UCLA, KSPC) while our sports DJs give a live play-by-play on-air.
APRIL 14 - APRIL 27
24 Hour Programming Extravaganza
TIME: 12AM to 11:59PM for 2 weeks
Tune in for two weeks of 24 hour programming by our beloved DJs!